11.20.2009

LA Works

So in all my spare time lately I've rediscovered volunteer work. I registered on www.laworks.com, an organization which makes it easy for people to volunteer in places that suit their interests. They offer everything from activities with kids to environmental work to feeding the homeless. As a volunteer, you tell them where you have skills, and what you are looking for in the work you do. Personally, I'm interested in anything having to do with animals or the environment, and it was easy to narrow my search to concentrate on these areas. So far I've done work in an educational garden - The Daniel Webster Garden, established to teach children growing up in an urban area about the environment. Also, Angel joined me on a project to help out in the Ballona Wetlands right here in Playa del Rey. We cleared land (backbreaking work) for an area to regrow native plants. Really, a great workout!

Tomorrow Mariko, my mom and I will be doing a couple hours of cleanup with Heal the Bay. They do work anywhere from Redondo Beach to the Pacific Palasades.. just happens to include all of the beaches that I ride my bike through in the summer! My question is this: Why NOT do work like this?? It does nothing but good for everyone, and I feel good inside when I'm done =). What I really can't wait for is coming up in a few weeks.. I'm volunteering at a no-kill animal shelter in West LA. I CAN'T WAIT. I get to feed and walk doggies all day long, heaven for me.

Anyways... I really think this is a powerful website and organization. It gives us absolutely no excuse NOT to volunteer. Do yourself some good and help others along the way. Check it out! LA Works

No comments: