10.07.2009

A LONG time coming


I finally did it. Chopped off almost 14 inches of unnecessary hair! I was inspired of course by 2 of my best friends in the world, who both do this on a regular basis. Christine and Mariko donate their hair to Locks of Love, an awesome non-profit organization which makes wigs for children who suffer from long-term medical hair loss. I figured, since I donate my platelets every two weeks, why not join my girls in donating my hair as well!?


Most wigs by retailers are made to fit adult heads, way too big to stay put on children. The hair prosthetics Locks of Love provides are custom-made from donated ponytails for each child’s head. The hairpiece forms a vacuum seal, like a suction cup, and does not require the use of tape or glue. Children can dismiss insecurities about classmates pulling off their hairpiece, or losing it at recess. They can swim, shower and do gymnastics – in short, they can be kids again.

If you have 10+ inches of hair to spare, you can donate too! Here's the info =)

No comments: