4.29.2009

Namaste

So I've practiced yoga off and on for about 5 years now and generally feel at peace once I have finished a session. It is a very settling activity for both body and mind, not to mention quite challenging in certain poses. During and after the session, the instructor says 'Namaste' and bows their head to the class. I've always just kind of said it back, not really understanding it. Today, during my session, I think I finally got it. Basically, nama means "to bow" and te means "you." But it's so much more than that. Check it out:

Interpretation:
"The Spirit within me recognizes and honors the Spirit within you."

"I honor the place in you in which the entire Universe dwells,
I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Truth, of Light and of Peace,
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are One."

“The God(dess) in me greets and honors the God(dess) in you.”

"I salute the divine qualities in you."

"My soul bows to your soul.”


Mudra of Namaste:

Hands are held together at the palms in front of the heart or brow chakra. Head is bowed slightly downward. Eyes are sometimes closed.

Equalizer:
Namaste is significant because it is a humbling gesture. Namaste is done as a recognition that we are all on equal standings, all of us are children of divinity. We are one.

Pronunciation:
Nah-mah-stay

No comments: