5.14.2008

again

I'm getting to that point in my life. the older i get, the more people i will lose. A few months ago my good friend Beth lost her father to cancer. It was and continues to be rough for her and her mother. You expect and can accept the death of a grandparent once they've reached a certain age, but when parents start passing away it's a lot harder.

My friend Kelly's father just passed away a few days ago... again, complications stemming from cancer. It seems unfair that with all of the technological advances we've seen, cancer is still so prevalent. I feel deep sympathy for Kelly and his family, as they did not see this coming, and definitely did not expect it to happen so suddenly. It seems as though family history has nothing to do with it, not a smoker, etc...

I've begun to think about my own parents. Though my mom seems healthy enough, i worry about my dad. He's never been in the best shape, has adult onset diabetes (just like his father), and doesn't really take care of himself. On one hand, i want him to be happy and not worry about it. But on the other, I don't want to worry about him.. living alone with his dog in the hills. I've never experienced the death of a close friend or family member. My family is all on the east coast and all of my grandparents died before i was 10. I can't help but wonder how i'll deal when this happens to me. **sigh**

No comments: